Cheshire Lutheran Church is a vibrant community that reaches out in many ways within its own church community, toward our town and region, as well as toward the world at large. This page contains just some of our many Ministries.
Our Worship schedule is two Sunday services, one at 8:00 am and the second at 10:30 am throughout the fall, winter and spring seasons. During the summer season we shift to a single Sunday service at 9:00 am. Music is an important part of every service at Cheshire Lutheran. It might be hymns sung by the congregation, the Adult Choir, the Youth Choir, the Handbell Choir, or some combination of them all.
Select any of the tabs below to learn more about our specific ministry areas.
- Social Welfare
Our Social Welfare Ministry
- Local Food Pantries – The First Sunday Food Drive helps keep the local food pantries stocked year-round. Throughout the year, we collect food items and cash donations. Each month volunteers deliver them to a food pantry in the area.
- Hope Pregnancy Center – Baby items are collected and brought to The Hope Pregnancy Center here in Cheshire, CT by our member volunteers monthly. Contributions include clothing and other items needed by babies during the first year of life. Hope Pregnancy Center offers a variety of services for a wide range of needs. Best of all, all of their services are totally free and completely confidential.
- Lutheran World Relief School Kits – Members not only contribute school supplies and fabric, but also pack the school supplies into back-packs. In addition, Thrivent provides matching funds which are all donated to Lutheran World Relief.
- Blanket Sunday Ministry – On Mother’s Day we collect special offerings dedicated to the CWS Blankets+ mission. CWS Blankets+ is a special mission opportunity that can involve all ages. Some 8,000 congregations and groups across the U.S. hold CWS Blankets+ events, providing funds to help people in need around the world, including the U.S. For over 60 years, Church World Service has worked in partnership with local communities to identify their needs and access the resources they need to build the foundation for a more viable future, including blankets, tents, food, tools, seed and wells.
- Remembering Our Troops – During the month of May we collect items to send to our troops overseas, as well as contributions to the shipping cost of these items.
- Immanuel Lutheran’s Comfort Dog Ministry – This past year, our Thanksgiving offerings were dedicated to the Immanuel Lutheran Comfort Dog Ministry. Comfort Dogs interact with people at churches, schools, nursing homes, hospitals, events, and in disaster response situations.
- Worldwide Ministry – The Worldwide Ministry offerings of CLC members support social service programs, near and abroad. Additionally, CLC’s discretionary fund is administered by our pastor, the social welfare deacon, and the congregation president to provide confidential financial assistance to members in need.
Our Care in Community Ministry
- Thrivent – Thrivent continues to be a strong supporter of CLC and our ministries. Thrivent provides support for the Chili Cook Off, the Craft Show and Bake Sale, the Advent Dinner, and CLC’s Relay for Life team.
Our Education Ministry
- CLC Library – Cheshire Lutheran has an ever growing library of books for children and adults alike. Follow the “CLC Library” link to see the course catalog online! (Login with ID=cheshirelutheran and PW=xgarden08).
- Little Cherubs Christian Preschool – The school is growing with the opening of our new, dedicated facility. Classes are available for a number of age groups.
- Sunday School – Regular classes are held for Pre-K – 8th, Confirmation 10th grade at 9:10am each Sunday morning, between the two services. Sunday school children practice stewardship by contributing to The Christian Children’s Fund, Cheshire Community Food Pantry, and Heifer International. They also send cards to our CLC shut-ins at Easter and Christmas. Our Sunday school teachers share the responsibility by team-teaching our CLC children.
- Adult Bible Classes – Adult Bible class is held on Sunday mornings during the Sunday school hour and lead by our Pastor and DCE. Tuesday evening Bible class is led by our DCE.
- Recurring Classes – Throughout the year, classes are also held for First Communion (6th grade students) and Confirmation (10th grade students). Adult Information Classes are available to anyone 18 years of age and older.
- Youth Group – For 6th through 8th grade students at Cheshire Lutheran there is a junior youth group known as High Impact. High school students at Cheshire Lutheran can participate in the senior youth group known as CrossRoads. Both groups participate in various activities including servant events, lock-ins, bowling trips, etc. Please refer to our Youth Ministry tab above for more details on each group.
Our Fellowship Ministry
- Sample Fellowship activities – There are numerous fellowship activities held throughout the year: Easter Breakfast, Church Picnic, Advent Jubilee Dinner, Progressive Dinner, Weekly Lenten Supper, and Receptions for major church events and services.
- Weekly Coffee – There is a weekly Coffee and Danish gathering each Sunday between the two morning services. In the summer, this switches to an outdoor Lemonade and Cookies gathering after the single 9:00am service.
Our Evangelism Ministry
- Welcome – We welcome all visitors to CLC as part of our Christian endeavor to Share Christ with Others.
- Christmas Cards – Christmas cards containing with the schedule of holiday services are sent out to all visitors from the past year, inviting them to join us for worship.
- Visitor Welcome Bags – We deliver gift bags to visitors’ homes after services. These bags provide a special welcome to CLC as well as information about our church.
- Pictorials – As a new upcoming project, photos will be displayed of various groups at CLC, (such as Council, Choir, and Sunday School teachers). This will help develop relationships within our church family and will help newcomers become connected as well.
Our Cheshire Lutheran Women Ministry
- Mission – The membership of the Cheshire Lutheran Church Women (CLCW) includes all of the women members of the CLC, with the men and children participating in many of its activities. The organization provides the women with an opportunity to express their Christian faith through fellowship and service to others.
- Ladies Night Out – This is our annual, fellowship evening dinner out for all women of CLC.
- Apple Pie Workshop – The workshop is held each October to create the apple pies that are sold at the November Craft Show and Bake Sale. This is a fun, congregation-wide event attended by men, women, and children who peel apples, make crust, and construct over 100 pies each fall.
- Cookie and Gift Exchange – This fellowship event is held in early December with ladies donating four dozen home-made cookies of their choice and a small gift for exchanging. The goal is that each woman would be able to return home with a variety of Christmas cookies and a gift. This is a wonderful opportunity to meet other women in the congregation! Gift Certificates for Teenagers – CLCW collects gift certificates for local Cheshire teenagers in need. The certificates are given to a local women’s shelter or similar organization for distribution.
- Angel Tree – This Christmas season charity event is held so the children of the church have an opportunity to give other children in need small gifts.
- Donations – What CLCW takes in, it then distributes to those in need. Some typical donations include: Tuition Assistance, American Cancer Society Relay for Life, Lutheran Home of Southbury, CLC Youth Group, and Safe Haven of Waterbury.
Our Cheshire Lutheran Mens Ministry
- The men in our congregation, including young adults, meet every Thursday morning at 7:30 am for an adult bible study
About Our Youth Ministry
The youth at Cheshire Lutheran Church have the wonderful opportunity for fun and fellowship with people their own age. These groups meets twice a month for fun events, service projects, and also lock-ins. Friends are always welcome to every event. Events are constantly being planned and are shown within our overall church calendar. If you have any questions feel free to contact our Director of Christian Education (DCE).
Each youth has the ability to serve their Lord in many different forms. They can be a part of the acolyte team lighting the candles and assisting in the Sunday morning services. They can be a part of the youth choir singing praises to their Lord. They can also take part in community service projects that takes part during different times during the year.
CROSSROADS – High School
This group is for youth in High School. We try to twice a month from 7:00 – 8:30pm on Sunday’s. We will watch movies, play video games, eat food, and dive into God’s Word. Friends are always welcome to join us at all events.
HIGH IMPACT – 6th-8th Grade
This group is for youth in grades 6th through 8th grade. This group comes together twice a month for service, fellowship, the study of God’s Word, and, of course, some fun! The gatherings take place on Wednesday’s from 7:10pm (right after youth choir!) to 8:30pm. On the first gathering of the month the High Impact group makes a bunch of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to donate to a food pantry in Waterbury. Feel free to join us and friends are always welcome!